Skip to main content

Slide into Summer

Meagan Waite, Assistant Director - My Discovery Destination!

I LOVE summer. I love it when the sun comes up early and wakes me. I love flip flops and shorts. I like to be warm (not hot, but warm). I like warm evenings where I can sit outside and talk with friends and family.  I do not care for mosquitos (although they LOVE me), but that is what Avon’s Skin So Soft is for. This time of year, the summer, is when I thrive. 

Unfortunately, summer can have the opposite effect on school-age children. Two months of reading skills–and if reading skills slip then everything slips–and more than two and a half months of math skills can be lost over the 12-weeks between the end of one school year and the beginning of another. It takes teachers about six weeks to play catchup in the fall. This phenomenon is somewhat-affectionately called the “summer slide,” or summer learning loss. Additionally, there’s the risk of early childhood death during the extended school break–you know it’s imminent when your children say things like, “I’m so bored I’m going to DIE!” The onset of this fatal disease typically occurs in week two of summer vacation. What is a parent to do?

My Discovery Destination! and the Discovery Family Coalition have the antidote for summer doldrums, and it’s called the Summer Passport Program. 

There are well over 100 fun, flexible, FREE Adventures that families can do on their own time. The Adventures have the added benefit of keeping kids' bodies active and minds engaged. 

Did I mention they are FREE?

They are FREE to families because of generous grants from the Bear River Health Department, the Central Utah Public Health Department, and the Davis County Health Department. And completing the Summer Passport Program Adventures comes with REWARDS. Families can earn FREE, fun experiences from multiple Family Reward Event Partners from the grant areas, but the biggest rewards are the benefits that come to your family because you are spending time together.

Give your kids a better “shot” at healthy minds and bodies during June, July and August. You cannot hold back the changing of the season. Summer is coming. But, you can avoid the potential retrogression that can accompany it–the Summer Passport Program is the cure. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Focus on New Beginnings

by Meagan Waite, Assistant Director - My Discovery Destination! With the enchantment of the holidays in the rear view mirror, many of us are looking through the windshield at a new year. We make resolutions and even keep some of them. Sadly, many of them fall by the wayside within a few months, weeks, or even days. I’ve already eaten some of the chocolate I got for Christmas–I guess I should have finished it off by New Year’s Eve. The best way to tackle those good intentions that come with a new year is in baby steps. If one of your new goals is to spend more quality time with your family and to be an interactive, intentional parent, My Discovery Destination! and the Discovery Family Coalition have got you covered. My Discovery Destination! makes interactive, intentional parenting easy.  The Discovery Family Adventures are chock-full of free, flexible, fun activities that help parents really connect with their children and do it with a purpose. While some are more involved, even long-t

Fall into Family

by Meagan Waite, Assistant Director - My Discovery Destination! While I am a warm-weather individual at heart, I do love autumn. The temperatures are no longer stifling (although it sure seems to cool off FAST in the Rocky Mountain West), fall sports return (L.O.V.E. to play volleyball and watch football!), and there are lots of activities to get families geared up for the end of the year (where did 2021 go?!?).  The list of fall activities and responsibilities can be quite overwhelming. The desire to bond as a family can get lost in the never-ending catalog of time-worthy pursuits. Active, concerned parents might ask themselves, “How do we make time for what is most important when we have so many good tasks tugging at our attention?”  What is the answer? In this case, the answer is ‘if you can’t beat them, join them’. So, how about intentionally combining efforts? The “how” is even easier.  The Discovery Family Coalition is proud to bring you two virtual Discovery Hunts built on the G

How to Raise $25,000 for Suicide Prevention with just a Click

by Sharilee Griffiths, Director and Meagan Waite, Assistant Director - My Discovery Destination! The goal of the Discovery Family Adventures is to encourage families to spend time together, strengthening family bonds. Research shows that family attachment is the best prevention for risky behaviors, including suicide. Ever since the day of its inception, My Discovery Destination! has provided its Discovery Family Adventures program to each and every family FOR FREE. Part of our mission states that we “strengthen families by providing opportunities for FREE Family Fun.” Discovery Family Adventures are chock-full of free, flexible, fun activities that help parents really connect with their children and do it with a purpose. They are all 100% FREE to every family that wants to participate and will continue to be free to families. But nothing “free” is ever truly “free.” Someone is paying for it somewhere.  In order for My Discovery Destination! to keep the Discovery Family Adventu